April 24, 2005

Housekeeping/Roll Call

Just thought I'd put in a place for folks to check in. I know a few folks have reduced their activities here. I'm only posting the scripture passages on Wednesday and Sunday -- to give more reflection time for folks. Wondering if anything else can be done to make this a more helpful place.

I know for myself -- this is getting a bit wearing in at least two ways. Firstly, I'm finding my comments getting increasingly neck up. I'm not sure how much of this is the material and how much of this is me. I was hoping a pattern of less frequent posting would allow me to be more reflective and more meditative in my approach but it ain't happening.

Secondly, I'm finding the basic message of this gospel is getting repetitive. I also know the gospel is gearing up for the entry into Jerusalem with Mary's anointing of Jesus' feet so I am expecting things to change that way soon.

Also -- its almost May. Is anyone planning a summer vacation far away from the WWW? Do we need to retire the study for July or August?

Where is everyone else on this?

3 comments:

Meredith said...

David,
First, I want to thank you again for hosting this dialogue. I recognize that you must feel the weight of responsibility for the success of this study on your shoulders. I, personally, feel it has been very successful. I have enjoyed reflecting and posting on the passages, which are all new to me. This latest one - what can I say, I just don't understand it well enough to comment on any part of it.

As for approaching this with head or heart, both approaches have been insightful for me, though, as you can guess, I am most drawn to realize how the passages move our hearts, and bring us closer to God. About church and history - it feels irrelevant to me in relation to deeper meaning and messages we could be taking from the reading. I would like to encourage moving from head to heart in this study.

Posting twice a week I think is about right. If I fall behind, I simply have merged a couple of sections or post late, and this has seemed to work out alright.

So far, I am not planning on being away this summer for any extended time.

Thank you again for all that you do, and all that you are. I consider you Friend.

Blessings,
M

crystal said...

I ditto what Meredith said ... twice a week postings are good for me, no vacations planned, I appreciate other's comments on the readings from the head, heart and other body parts too :-).

Larry Clayton said...

I agree with everything said here, except that I find the head and the heart equally valuable in reflecting on John. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."

Twice a week is a good plan; we may be traveling in June, but will still be web access.