December 19, 2005

Psalm 23

The earth is the LORD's and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it; for he has founded it on the seas, and established it on the rivers.

Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place?

Those who have clean hands and pure hearts, who do not lift up their souls to what is false, and do not swear deceitfully.

They will receive blessing from the LORD, and vindication from the God of their salvation.

Such is the company of those who seek him, who seek the face of the God of Jacob.

Selah

Lift up your heads, O gates! and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in.

Who is the King of glory? The LORD, strong and mighty, the LORD, mighty in battle.

Lift up your heads, O gates! and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in.

Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory.

Selah

6 comments:

twila said...

Um...this is Psalm 24, I think.

A couple of things stand out in this Psalm to me. The first is "Lift up your heads, O gates! And be lifted up, O ancient doors! That the King of glory may come in". I read this as a poetic alarm clock. Wake up, sleepyhead! Lift your head, open your eyes and ears and heart! See, hear, open your heart to the One who awaits entry. Awaken!!

The other is the question about who it is that can ascend the hill of the Lord. Psalm 15 and 101 speak of this as well. It is an invitation to introspection and integrity. To do that inner "check-up". What is my intention? My motive? Am I living honestly with myself and others? Do I fritter away my life with worthless things? Do I magnify the negative in myself and others or do I silence the Inner Critic? Do I seek companions who are wise and thoughtful, who inspire me in the journey?

Marjorie said...

twyla, I loved your comment, it really opened up the Psalm to me. Thank you.

Unknown said...

oops. 24. yup.

Unknown said...

I really never saw the introspective thing there. Not sure if I'm all that careful about the things mentioned. I have fairly clean hands -- but then my sins tend to be sins of omission. Definately not a pure heart.

Larry Clayton said...

Marjorie said, "Twyla, I loved your comment, it really opened up the Psalm to me. Thank you."

Ditto, here. I looked at the psalm, and it didn't do much for me. Oh, I could dissert about the setting, the Temple, etc. etc., but it seemed so dry.

Now hurrah! The word of God speaks-- volumes.

Meredith said...

Twyla,
I loved your discernment of the notion to awaken here. It is as though the psalm were encouraging one and all to simply wake up! Lift up your heads! Awaken and allow.

Wonderful!