September 25, 2005

Another Set of Sayings - The World

Here's a group to work on when you are through working on 'Light':
(The N.T. has a very special meaning for 'world': it generally refers to the 'fallen world', which the devil offered to Jesus when he was tempted in the wilderness.)

27 Jesus said: If you fast not from the world , you will not find the kingdom; if you keep not the Sabbath as Sabbath, you will not see the Father.
(Leloup directs us to Matthew 5:8-20, which gives us some idea of what this saying may have meant to him.)

28 Jesus said: I stood in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found them all drunk, I found none among them thirsting; and my soul was afflicted for the sons of men, for they are blind in their heart and they do not see. For empty came they into the world, seeking also to depart empty from the world. But now they are drunk. When they have thrown off their wine, then will they repent.
(Notice the multiple meanings of the metaphor 'drunk' as opposed here to Saying 13. One of Leloup's suggestions is John 6:35.)

56 Jesus said: He who has known the world has found corpse, and he who has found a corpse, the world is not worthy of him.
(which seems almost identical with the next one. Look at John 1:10)
80 Jesus said: He who has known the world has found the body, and he who has found the body, the world is not worthy of him.

110 Jesus said: He who has found the world and become rich, let him deny the world. (Matthew 16:24-26)

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Dear Friends,
All of these sayings really confuse me! I'm not sure I understand any of them. If I had a guess, I think they all relate to this: "Be in the world but not of the world." Which I take to mean, walk among people and do good work, but do not be drawn into activities that hide your Christlight.

I'll be gone to a retreat this next week. I'll check in when I return.

Take care, my Friends.