April 27, 2006

go here -- read this

Just as I had posted on Pentecostal individualism versus corporate Quaker discernment this caught my eye:

But the promises of God were made to the community, not just to individuals, or to the particular individuals who touched Jesus' wounds or who can honestly say that they "felt" the Holy Spirit. And as a community we have a corporate stewardship of relationships, promises, blessings, strengths, even as those qualities ebb and flow in individuals. I do get strong impressions of God's love and power, and the person next to me in worship is entitled to benefit from that reality even if he or she doesn't have that experience personally. That person might have far more insight into the human psyche, however, and might be just the one to restore my perspective when I'm in despair about a relationship. This isn't theory, by the way; it's my experience.


So, like the captions says: go here -- read this: Can you believe?: Another awkward chorus

2 comments:

Larry Clayton said...

So right! No denomination has a corner on the word.

anonymous julie said...

Most excellent link.

I've known a few people to feel like a failure as Christians for not "feeling" anything...