October 26, 2009

John 5.31->

"If I testify on my own behalf, that testimony does not hold good. There is another who testifies for me, and I know what his testimony holds.

"Your messengers have been to John; you have his testimony to the truth. Not that I rely on human testimony; but I remind you of it for your own salvation. John was a lamp, burning brightly, and for a time you were ready to exult in his light. But I rely on a testimony higher than John's.

"There is enough to testify that the Father has sent me, in the works my Father gave me to do and to finish--the very works I have in hand. This testimony to me was given by the Father who sent me, although you never heard his voice, or saw his form. But his word has found no home in you, for you do not believe the one he sent.

"You study the scriptures diligently, supposing that in having them you have eternal life; yet although their testimony points to me, you refuse to come to me for that life.

"I do not look to men for honor. But with you it is different, as I know well, for you have no love of God in you.

"I have come accredited by my Father, and you have no welcome for me; if another comes self-accredited you will welcome him.

"How can you have faith so long as you receive honor from one another, and care nothing for the honor that comes from God?

"Do not imagine that I shall be your accuser at God's tribunal. Your accuser is Moses, the very Moses on whom you have set your hope. If you believed Moses you would believe what I tell you, for it was about me that he wrote. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how are you to believe what I say?"

No comments: