December 24, 2011

Amos 7.1-9

Thus the Lord God showed me:

Behold, He was forming locusts in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth;
and lo, it was the latter growth after the King's mowings.

When they had finished eating the grass of the land, I said:

"Oh Lord God! Forgive, I beseech Thee!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!"

The Lord repented, concerning this.
"It shall not be," said the Lord.

Thus the Lord God showed me:

Behold, the Lord God was calling for a judgment by fire;
and it devoured the great deep and was eating up the land.

Then I said:
"Oh Lord God! Cease, I beseech Thee!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!

The Lord repented concerning this.
"This also shall not be," said the Lord God.

He showed me:
Behold, the Lord was standing beside a wall built with a plumb line,
with a plumb line in his hand.

And the Lord said to me, "Amos, what do you see?"

And I said, "A plumb line."

Then the Lord said:

Behold, I am setting a plumb line
in the midst of my people Israel;
I will never again pass by them.

The high places of Isaac shall be made desolate
and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste
and I will rise against the house of Jereboam with the sword.

No comments: