June 29, 2015

Matthew 6.19-21

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on Earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

==============================

This is not about saving the goodies for 'an afterlife' ala ancient Egyptian practices (though there's nothing more mysterious about an afterlife than there is about the fact that we're experiencing this life!)

It can't be about 'Racking Up Points With The Old Man,' because as we're told, God already loves us as a father, and gives us what we need.

We don't want to need suffering, except that evidently we sometimes do. But that -- Consider the story of Job -- isn't necessarily a matter of having 'Sinned' or being somehow 'Bad.'

So what is this telling us?

2 comments:

Hystery said...

Thank you for this. I've read or heard this so many times the way one does- without really taking it in. I suppose I felt it was obvious. But as soon as I read this here, I thought of my great-grandmother and my grandfather and what they taught me through their lives about how to find treasure. I ended up writing more than could fit in a comment so it can be found at Plainly Pagan.
http://hystery.blogspot.com/

forrest said...

Yes, a very fine answer!

PS Any thoughts on APoeticTheology.blogspot.com ?