November 16, 2004

My faith history

Hi. I hope nobody minds if I take a leaf from Marjorie's book and post this - I already did a couple of days ago, but deleted it ... if you've already read it, please ignore this :-)

I wasn't raised in any religion, didn't go to church as a child except for a couple of visits.

In high school my sister and I got interested in eastern religions, took yoga classes. She still really likes the Dalai Lama and Tich Nat Han (sp?).

In college, I majored in art and later added philosophy - Socrates and the existentialists were my favorites. I thought religion was for those rationally challenged :-)

Things in my life started going badly - was diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease, got married and then divorced just a couple of years later. Money problems. I joined the Catholic church, not because I believed in God, but because I was lonely and hoped to make friends. Spent 3 years there and learned a lot about church but nothing really about Jesus/God.

Took up writing. When writing a story with a Jesuit character, I did research and met a Jesuit priest online. His website had his posted homilies and they were amazing to me - showed a possibility of relationship with Jesus/God I had never imagined. He was reluctant to talk to me about this stuff so I decided to take the online retreat at Creighton U. and asked him to help me. He agreed and the rest is history :-)

Sorry this was so long.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What is it with writers complaining their blogs are too long? As if the story of your relationship with infinity can be measured by the word count.

I think I've heard most of this before. But its good to see it all in one place.

Same question as for Marjorie. Where to from here? Everyone has a next step.

Larry Clayton said...

The next step is to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God that worketh in you, both to will and to do his good pleasure.