November 10, 2004

Re meek

David inquired about my statement re
meekness in a recent post.

First use of 'meek' in the Bible:
"NUM 12:1 And Miriam and Aaron spake
against Moses because of the Ethiopian
woman whom he had married: for he had
married an Ethiopian woman.

NUM 12:2 And they said, Hath the LORD
indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he
not spoken also by us? And the LORD
heard it.

NUM 12:3 (Now the man Moses was very
meek, above all the men which were upon
the face of the earth.)

NUM 12:4 And the LORD spake suddenly
unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto
Miriam, Come out ye three unto the
tabernacle of the congregation. And
they three came out.

NUM 12:5 And the LORD came down in the
pillar of the cloud, and stood in the
door of the tabernacle, and called
Aaron and Miriam: and they both came
forth.

NUM 12:6 And he said, Hear now my words:
If there be a prophet among you, I the
LORD will make myself known unto him in
a vision, and will speak unto him in a
dream.

NUM 12:7 My servant Moses is not so, who
is faithful in all mine house.

NUM 12:8 With him will I speak mouth to
mouth, even apparently, and not in dark
speeches; and the similitude of the
LORD shall he behold: wherefore then
were ye not afraid to speak against my
servant Moses?"

It gets worse if you read on.

Re the lion part: we know what he did
with Pharoah.

"MAT 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they
shall inherit the earth."

Wesley's notes: "Happy are the meek -
They that hold all their passions and
affections evenly balanced. They shall
inherit the earth - They shall have all
things really necessary for life and
godliness. They shall enjoy whatever
portion God hath given them here, and
shall hereafter possess the new earth,
wherein dwelleth righteousness."

The first definition in Webster:
"patient and mild, not inclined to anger
or resentment". Unfortunately the
second definition is the one we usually
apply.

David, I did find a reference re this
somewhere years ago. Who knows where?
----------

McKay! Oh Wow. A house down the street
from us belonged to Buddy McKay, briefly
governor of Florida (until the "Reds"
swept it all aside). Strangely enough I
met Buddy at the Church of the Saviour
in Washington.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As far as I know -- no relation. Although it is possible he's a distant one. My Dad's Dad came from the U.S. apparently. My Dad was an only child, as was his I think.

Larry Clayton said...

Elwood! Well you old rascal! A Quaker friend told us that she watches Harvey every week. A little extreme, but I'd like to get a copy.

Marjorie said...

Speaking of family names and background -- this is probably not unusual, but be advised that I have a Quaker in my family tree who was banished from the community for being overly litigious. I'll try to fight this genetic predisposition...oh, but I'm no better ("fight"). Okay, enough of that.

Larry Clayton said...

Marjorie, my ancestor was read out of meeting for marrying a Methodist. In fact in the 18th century the Quakers practically read themselves out of existence. Of course since then they've gone to the opposite extreme.