December 19, 2004

Housekeeping

I asked a while ago what folks wanted to do next.

The only clear suggestion is for John -- gospel or letter(s) (there were three letters after all). One suggestion for something from the Hebrew scriptures and one preference for the Christian (sorry -- I've taken on the discipline of avoiding the terms NT and OT -- not an easy discipline).

Meanwhile -- the themes that seem to speak to folks -- that generate the most energy -- are politics -- or rather the political implications of the gospel -- and prayer.

If we want to continue with those themes I think Acts would be a good choice. However -- if we want a fresh take and something different -- the gospel of John could be quite interesting.

I love the letter of James. That's why I chose it. So I posted based upon having read it over and over and over again. With John -- I've read it -- in pieces here and there. I will likely be a whole lot more tentative in my commentaries. Maybe a good thing.

I also suggest that the project begin sometime after that day some call Christmas. Familial obligations are running thicker and thicker as the days count down. Some entail travel.

What say you all?

7 comments:

Larry Clayton said...

I say John; but I'm amenable to anything.

crystal said...

I vote for the gospel of John.

Unknown said...

John going once . . . John going twice . . .

Meredith said...

I'm in.
M

Unknown said...

Sold! On the Quaker Gospel. Er. Um The Gospel of John.

Marjorie said...

You're going to have to explain that to me -- the Quaker Gospel? Is it because the Gospel of John is viewed as the most spiritual Gospel?

Unknown said...

I would not call John a more spiritual gospel. John certainly is more willing to use poetry and allegorey to get its message across -- but that is a different issue from being "spiritual" (I actually like Mark best).

The gospel of John, uses the word "light" 23 times in 16 verses -- and Light is the word most often used by (modern) Quakers to speak of their experiences of inward gudance by the spirit. It is also in John that we get the Quaker charter statement:

John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.