August 23, 2005

Nice to meetcha

Thanks for allowing me to join your skripture study. I may not post for a bit, as I’m learning my way around. This is just an intro.

Twyla here. I’m 49, happily married and empty-nested, live in the deep south, am a floozy for books, and am on a delightfully astonishing spiritual journey. I asked to join because I adore what I’ve read here so far and I have need of like-minded fellowship. (like I said, deep south)

I won’t bore you with a “what I believe” speech, especially since it would likely be a short paragraph with a lot of I don’t knows peppered throughout. For any who would like a peek at some of my spiritual ramblings, I talk a little from time to time on my blog. (whimsical mystic) To save you time, go here and here.

Although I’ve never met a Quaker face to face, so much of what I’ve read here and elsewhere (Foster, Kelly, y’alls blogs) resonates deeply. I don’t attend a traditional “church” meeting, but do meet weekly with a tiny group of believers in our homes.

Guess that will do. Glad to meet you. Glad to be here. Glad to call you friends.

(BTW, I posted this picture for no particular reason, except that it seems to kind of illustrate where I am or who I am or some such thing)

12 comments:

Meredith said...

I am so happy to have you join us, Twyla! I look forward to a very enjoyable dialogue with you.

crystal said...

Hi Twyla ... nice picture! I'm one of the few non-Quakers here - I'm catholic, Jesuitly oriented, and I also don't attend church. Good to have you onboard :-)

Unknown said...

Howdy Book Floozy and Welcome!

A home-churcher! That should be an interesting addition to the mix. I may pick your brains about setting up worship groups at some point.

Larry Clayton said...

Hi, Whimsical Mystic (I like that one better). David hit on a good idea. He and I (and likely others as well) would like the benefit of your experience in setting up a "a tiny group of believers in our homes". I guess off and on, I've tried that for quite a few years, until I hit on Quakers, who seem to be about the same thing.

And then this group is an amazingly effectual meeting place for believers of like (and unlike) minds.

(Since we're in the Bible Study group, it might be better to direct the above to comments to the blogs of David and Me, unless or until others show an interest in that subject. Just a thought.)

Meredith said...

I think I may have mentioned this to David before - that our Friends Meeting meets in one another's homes, and have been doing so for over 15 years I think. I'd also be happy to share the ins and outs of how this works for us if you are interested.

crystal said...

I think home church stuff is very interesting - please post about it so I can learn more.

Marjorie said...

Hi Twyla, and welcome to the blog. You may have seen my face on a milk carton, I've been missing for quite a while. I don't know why I haven't been around, but this is a wonderful group of people.

Sometimes my mind gets too 'full' and I need a break. But I'm feeling a bit hungry again.

Oh, I'm another non-Quaker. I'm an Episcopalian. I did a fundy Bible study for three years and enjoyed it while I was there but it seems way to limited and limiting to me. I'm also a homeschooler/unschooler, which may be another reason why I'm religiously muddled -- the hs movement at times is a bit divisive along the "Christian" and 'inclusive' lines, I'm an inclusive.

See you around -- and that goes to ALL of you.

Meredith said...

Did she say Marjorie??? ...does this mean Marjorie's back??? Oh I hope so... I have missed you Friend!

Unknown said...

welcome back amongst the almost living Marjorie.

Larry Clayton said...

Meredith, please do.
Marjorie: Lo, the prodigal has returned. Let's kill the fatted calf.
I know you enjoyed your vacation.

crystal said...

Marjorie! :-)

twila said...

Wow. I don't think I've ever been so thoroughly and warmly welcomed in all my life. I'm overwhelmed. Thank you.