December 13, 2005

Laughable

The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and his anointed, saying,

"Let us burst their bonds asunder, and cast their cords from us.

"He who sits in the heavens laughs; the LORD has them in derision.


These lines suggest that rulers, people held in esteem by others, or even those who just think that they are kings of the world sans God, who do not recognize God in all things, and who try to break their bonds with God, may think themselves free. However, God must just laugh at this. For how can anyone break his bond with God? It would be like a fish, breaking his bond with water, or a tree breaking its bond with the earth. We can no more separate ourselves from God than we can separate ourselves from the air that we breathe. It’s laughable to think otherwise.

This was so succinctly echoed by poet Kabir:

If you don't break your ropes while you're alive,
do you think
the ghosts will do it after?

and...

I laugh when I hear that the fish in the water is thirsty.

and now, poet Hafiz...

I have a thousand brilliant lies
for the question:
What is God?

If you think that the Truth can be known From words,

If you think that the Sun and the Ocean

Can pass throuh that tiny opening

Called the mouth,

O someone should start laughing!

Someone should start wildly laughing -

Now!

4 comments:

crystal said...

Meredith, your always positive pov is so refreshing to me :-). When I read that line, I thought of an expression I heard somewhere ...

Men plan, God laughs.

Meredith said...

Here is another smile:

God and I have become
like two giant, fat people
living on a small boat.

We keep bumping into
each other...
and laughing.


-Hafiz

Larry Clayton said...

Years ago I knew some charismatics who were given to 'holy laughter'. Farther back than that is this story:

Many years ago at Duke I used to go to the 'dope shop' every night for a milkshake (put on 15 pds that semester). Waiting for service I always noticed a small circle engaged in animated conversation, puntuated by frequent outburts of laughter. I thought: how stupid can they be. Turned out they were seminary students.

Many years later I attended a seminar there for 12 ministers given by two faculty-- a really high spirited thing. We would go to the dope shop in the evening and stand in a circle engaged in animated conversation, puntuated by frequent outburts of laughter.

"I love to laugh Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Marjorie said...

Mary Poppins, just got that DVD and we love it.