May 28, 2006

Question for Larry

I have run into references to someone named William Stringfellow a few times recently -- and being suspicious about coincidences I thought I'd see what the issue is with this guy. Sounds like he was doing the Walter Wink thing twenty years before Walter Wink was doing it.

I think you mentioned him once or twice. What can you say about him? What woudl be a good starting place if I wanted to read something by/about him.

If you'd rather answer privately -- my email is kwakersaur@lycos.com. Again I'll be out of town a few days. Take your time.

1 comment:

Larry Clayton said...

David, you're absolutely right. William was the founder of the ideas that Walter developed a generation later. His masterpiece was Christians and Other Aliens in a Strange Land.

In 1973 we went to D.C. to sit at the feet of Gordon Cosby at the C of S. That first sermon was about this book. A trained attorney, Stringfellow put heavy emphasis on the thesis that principalities are devoted to the idolatry of death. The word included churches, as Gordon openly confessed.

It was the last thing I wanted to hear that morning, but it has been borne out in a thousand ways in my life. Anyway I believe that's where Wink began his treatement of principalities.

Two great men! They have taught us a lot, and much more remains-- for them and for us.

Thanks for inspiring me, David.

Check out this gentleman and you'll find small bios of quite a few of our old buddies including William Stringfellow.