May 06, 2006

a stiff necked people

This longish passage is a rather involved interpretation of Hebrew history making the Jews out to be a bunch of malcontents consistently resisting God's voice calling them to repentance and to obedience.

Seen as a Christian harangue of Jews it speaks of supersessionism -- a heresy that I have no truck with. But this is Stephen -- a Jew -- though not a Palestinian Jew -- making this harangue and he is in good company. Much of the books of Chronicles and the writings of the prophet Isaiah similarly harangue. There is a self-criticism within Judaism which I think is healthy. And a willingness to argue with God which is generally seen as irreverent in Christian circles but which may indicate a certain intimacy and trust in God when seen from a differing light.

For me, in this day, Stephen's words must apply not to Jews but to Christians -- for it is in our scriptures that his speech is recorded:
You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you are forever opposing the Holy Spirit, just as your ancestors used to do. Which of the prophets did your ancestors not persecute? They killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One, and now you have become his betrayers and murderers. You are the ones that received the law as ordained by angels, and yet you have not kept it.

Keep everything here and change one word -- change "law" to "gospel" and 2000 years of Christian history stands indicted.

And I, I, I have been stiff-necked, uncircumcised in heart and ears, forever opposing the Holy Spirit. Perhaps I have not murdered anyone. But I have murdered in my heart with unrighteous anger. And I have received the gospel as ordained by angels, and yet I have not kept it. The talents are still buried in the earth ready to be dug up. I have remained behind, guarding the 99 sheep when the little one was lost. My lamp is empty of oil, the wick is untrimmed. Life happens.

But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous (1 John 2:1)

1 comment:

Larry Clayton said...

A stirring conversation, David. I can only say that you are no guiltier than I am.