March 10, 2007

good night vacuumland

Growing up my favourite Saturday morning radio show was Eclectic Circus on CBC FM. The name was apropos: played everything from Wagner to The Beatles seasoned liberally with Mozart, 60s folk-rock, and the occasional jazz ensemble piece. The host, Alan McFee would sign off each show with the a reading I later learned was from Shakespeare's The Tempest:

OUR revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.


Prospero in The Tempest



He would then say: "Good Night Vacuumland!"


I think Eclectic Circus is a good metaphor for the last year and a half we have spent here together. But I think it is time for me, like Prospero, to set aside my magick bookes and re-enter incarnate society. Its been fun. If those of you still left decide to continue the project -- feel free -- Crystal, Forrest, and Larry all have administrative rights -- I may check in now and then to kibitz around -- throw my two pennies into the pot and so forth.

Good night vaccumland.

1 comment:

crystal said...

David, I tried to find your personal blog but couldn't ... are you totally disappearing from blogdom?