June 04, 2011

John 6.46-58

"I do not mean that anyone has seen the Father. He who has come from God has seen the Father, and he alone. In truth, in very truth I tell you, the believer possesses eternal life.

"I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert; and they are dead. I am speaking of the bread that comes down from Heaven, which a man may eat, and never die. I am that living bread which has come down from Heaven; if anyone eats this bread he shall live forever. Moreover, the bread which I give away is my own flesh; I give it for the life of the world."

This led to a fierce dispute among the Jews. "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" they said.

Jesus replied, "In truth, in very truth I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood you can have no life in you.

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood possesses eternal life; and I will raise him up on the last day. My flesh is real flesh; my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood dwells continually in me and I dwell in him.

"As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me shall live because of me. This is the bread which has come down from Heaven; and it is not like the bread which our fathers ate. They are dead, but whoever eats this bread shall live forever."

No comments: