July 30, 2011

Luke 7.18-23

John too was informed of all this by his disciples. Summoning two of their number, he sent them to the Lord with this message: "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to expect some other?"

The messengers made their way to Jesus, and said, "John the Baptist has sent us to you. He asks, 'Are you the one who is to come, or are we to expect some other?'"

There and then he cured many sufferers from diseases, plagues, and evil spirits; and on many blind people he restored sight. Then he gave them his answer: "Go," he said, "and tell John what you have seen and heard: how the blind recover their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are clean, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, the poor are hearing the good news-- and happy is the man who does not find me a stumbling-block."

2 comments:

JR said...

I don’t feel much to say here.

Except an odd observation inwardly. Why does this passage feel to me like I am drinking concentrated orange juice? – too heavy? – too concentrated? What is it with me and Luke sometimes? – Why do I connect with some passages? – and not others? – like this one, especially since I think I am a charismatic? This is the kind of passage I am supposed to jump up and down about, but why am I not? Odd? ~ Jim

forrest said...

Perhaps it's an early "Christian" counterattack to "Why are you people still calling that guy 'The Messiah'?"

It is hard to explain as 'actual historical' incident iff my own prime hypothesis is correct: 'Jesus was the Messiah ['de jure King'] because John the Baptist, the chief prophet of the nation at the time, anointed him.' Unless John was thinking he might have made a mistake? "Why haven't you marched on Jerusalem yet? Get a move on!"

Okay, why does this passage leave you as cold as "John" typically leaves me? Too much 1st Century political infighting, appropriated for Our Guys' in-group self-congratulation? What I think.