September 12, 2011

Luke 9.1-9.6

[Jesus] now called the Twelve together and gave them power and authority to overcome all the devils and to cure diseases, and sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God, and to heal.

"Take nothing for the journey," he told them, "neither stick nor pack, neither bread nor money; nor are you to bring a second coat. When you are admitted to a house, stay there, and go on from there.

"As for those who will not receive you--When you leave their town shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." So they set out and traveled from village to village; and everywhere they told the good news and healed the sick.

3 comments:

JR said...

This is one of my favorites. Preaching alone, just words. Preaching accompanied by demonstrations, awesome stuff.

Told and healed!

forrest said...

The question this arouses in my mind: How come this sort of thing turns out so very time-limited. Very Early Church, miracles of healing. Paul etc-- Where Jesus heals blindness, Paul strikes offenders blind. And then the increasingly "Down With Heretics" religion that led to the deal with Constantine, etc etc with various revivals that got stomped out by the authorities, then the Quakers who got stomped out by ourselves.... Why couldn't we have kept preaching and healing?

JR said...

I can’t agree more with these questions.

They make me wretch. Then arise, to work.

Frankly, I have no clue. Beats me. Beats me badly why such fragile permanent effects?

My best answer so far: three new posts today (time stamp today) on the permanence-impermanence of agape effects: before I saw your questions here.

Agapeistic Evolution.

Sincerely, my three posts today are just gas.

I really don’t know the answers.


Jim