October 07, 2005

Saying 25 L

(25) Jesus said: Love thy brother as thy
soul; keep him as the apple of thine eye.

This one concerns me; it's the only mention of love that I've come across. I put it in juxtaposition with the Synoptics (and many epistles) statement about loving your neighbor as yourself--a close parallel, except that there's a difference in the connotations of neighbor and brother. I have to wonder: was he a tribalist? I don't get the universal flavor that I look for throughout the Bible.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Larry,

This saying does not concern me, but rather delights me, dear Friend. As I read it, Jesus is teaching in yet another way about the wisdom of non-discrimination - one's brother is none other than one's self. How sweetly Jesus says to "keep him as the apple of thine eye." Love him as deeply as you love yourself; see the goodness, pureness, and light in him - the very best of humanity's soul.

Larry Clayton said...

Thank you, Meredith; you (and Ellie) follow Paul who said in Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I'm more likely to focus on the opposite 'whatsoevers'. 1. I worry! 2. We are on two parallel 'rails', but I feel sure they will come together at the right time.