August 19, 2006

Revelation 1:1-8 (New Jerusalem)

Call me quirky. But it seemed the New Jerusalem version to be a good translation to kick of this round of readings. Let the games begin.

A revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him so that he could tell his servants what is now to take place very soon; he sent his angel to make it known to his servant John, and John has borne witness to the Word of God and to the witness of Jesus Christ, everything that he saw. Blessed is anyone who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed those who hear them, if they treasure the content, because the Time is near.

John, to the seven churches of Asia: grace and peace to you from him who is, who was, and who is to come, from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the First-born from the dead, the highest of earthly kings. He loves us and has washed away our sins with his blood, and made us a Kingdom of Priests to serve his God and Father; to him, then, be glory and power for ever and ever. Amen.

Look, he is coming on the clouds;
everyone will see him,
even those who pierced him,
and all the races of the earth will mourn over him.
Indeed this shall be so.
Amen.


'I am the Alpha and the Omega,' says the Lord God, who is, who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.


5 comments:

Larry Clayton said...

David, this is certainly very different from The Jerusalem Bible. I can't help asking if this is in fact the first 8 verses of Revelation.

I'm wondering if you scanned this, input it word by word, or found it published somewhere.

If the New Jerusalem Bible is on line anywhere I'd love to know the url.

Thanks.

crystal said...

What you have here, David, is almost exactly what my New American Bible (online) also has.

In case anyone would be interested, here's Felix Just's page for Revelation - it has links to other resources on the subject.

crystal said...

And I forgot to mention this great Revelation links page at Mark Goodacre's NT Gateway - link

Unknown said...

Larry, I do not know of an online version of either the Jeruslaem or the New Jerusalem. I used to LOVE the Jerusalem but the book was just too heavy to lug about so I got rid of it.

This New Jerusalem is one of the bibles in a bible software package I picked up years ago called Bible Works. I have version 4.0 and tehy are now up to 7. Next computer upgrade I get Bible Works 7 as it has two translations I really want to access for totally different reasons: The Geneva and The Tanakh.

And I'm afraid I cut and pasted directly from the application and the only changhes I made was breaking the one prayer off and italicizing it.

Larry Clayton said...

David, I humbly beg your pardon re my former comment. I don't know how it happened, but I was certainly confused about the content. Now I find it pretty close to the King Jim after all.