November 08, 2006

housekeeping

Okay, though Quakes go by sense of the meeting and not by vote we still have a tally. Larry votes we bail and move on to the Gospel of Mark. Forrest wants to stick it out with Revelation but will bail if Revelation means he'll be the only one posting.

I can't guarantee Forrest won't be the only one posting. I've abstained thus far and Crystal hasn't said anything. Yet.

I'm heading back into Revelation unless I get an overwhelming response otherwise. I won't get a chance to post before the weekend likely.

I don't feel as strongly as Larry that this text is devoid of wisdom. Luther felt the same way about James, James is my fav biblical tome, James started this blog in the first place.

At the same time -- I'm really not finding a lot to say. And even Forrest, who does find stuff to say, does so by posting long tracts from commentaries (mostly Ellul) which means those who've found the Apocalypse enlightening are is some ways more enlightening than the Apocalypse.

The point however -- we're coming into the pay off. Reading to this point is kinda like buying tickets to an all-you-can-eat rib-fest and ordering a garden salad and leaving.

3 comments:

crystal said...

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I would like to join Larry in hoping to go on to Mark.

forrest said...

Okay, if choice of books has anything to do with any of us not "being around," then let's switch.

I think the ghost of Jacques Ellul was a perfectly fine participant in the discussion; he tickles my head with his tendency to find deliberate structure in Revelation where I just find "too many plagues and falling objects and bowings up and down forever." He's my best witness that there is anything valuable in all this, even if he's wrong (as I think) about 'the Incarnation' being implied where nothing whatsoever is explicitly said about it. But he's not to everyone's taste.

The issues in Revelation... Although it is not a script for The End And How He's Going To Do It, it inevitably brings up the matter of "Is our world under immanent impending judgment?"--which has been a live issue for me ever since I first noticed that we've been living on stolen goods, not so well as we've imagined, without repentance or even much awareness, for some very long time now. Like the mugger who said "At least I'm not on welfare; I work for a living."

I'd like to get back to this eventually. But Jesus is basic for how we are to understand our situation; let's run with him for now. I may still find quotes from various people to throw in from time to time...

Unknown said...

looks like the tide turns toward the Gospel According to Mark.