December 16, 2006

discipleship/david


With the conversation evolving on spiritual disciplines and discipleship I would like to share that I have started to read a niftazoid little bit of scholarship called Patterns of Discipleship in the New Testament by Richard Longenecker. He's actually the editor. Its a collection of essays on discipleship as found in the New Testament writings. Chapter one is on Mark which I'm about to read and will share with you as I feel led. But I'm not reading these things in order.

I'm an undisciplined disciple.

I bought it in part as I'm interested in the topic and in part because I have read other scholarship by Longenecker and have been impressed. He wrote an amazing (to me) survey of how the New Testament authors exegete the Hebrew scriptures which completely blew me away. It was called Biblical Exegesis in the Apostolic Period and I believe its out of print.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be looking forward to your sharings!