March 10, 2005

Go and sin no more.

Leaving aside the matter of where the story belongs or if it belongs, I want to focus on the last verse. It says some vital things about the nature of man and God and the character of Jesus: "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

Think about the relationship between sin and condemnation: where there is sin there may be condemnation -- or forgiveness.
Jesus forgives sin (and for that of course he was accused of blasphemy). Jesus told us that God forgives, and finally that we are to forgive.

I often wonder why so many people see God only as the cruel judge. Is it because they cannot forgive?

Forgiveness is as natural as breathing, and both things come from the same source. I forgive you, go in peace. And I hope that you forgive me. The old man lives on resentments; the new man forgives. That's what the new birth is all about.

Throughout Eternity I forgive you, you forgive me.
As the dear Redeemer said, this the wine and this the bread.

When we forgive, we are partaking of the sacrament; likewise when we are forgiven. This is the nurture of the spirit until we grow up into the fullness of Christ.

Blake shows us the meaning of love and forgiveness with The Little Black Boy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I did a quick search of Leviticus to see what crimes specifically warrant stoning to death.

Blasphemy. Sacrifice to other gods. Adultery. Prostitution. Witchcraft.

And if you are an ox -- goring a human being to death. This was a practical matter. It seesm we are not to eat animals flesh that has killed a human being.

Stoning is quite specifically for 2 reasons, so the whole community can execute the justice and so the killing can be done without touching the offender.

Marjorie said...

another interesting question -- is forgiveness harder to give or to receive?

Forgiveness is so liberating, to me, its a gateway to gratitude, which is where I find the fleeting union with God.

crystal said...

Yikes! - Stoning. It makes me think of that story, The Lottery, in which a person in a New England village is picked every year to be sacrificed by stoning. David said - the whole community can execute the justice ... I guess the village that stones together, stays together - urp!