March 13, 2005

The Light of the World - Larry

I woke up this morning thinking about the light of the world-- some improvement over my usual rise. It becomes clearer and clearer to me that this is a (maybe the) focal point of my faith. Who is the light of the world? Is Jesus the light of the world? Am I (at least supposed to be) the light of the world? Are both statements accurate descriptions of reality?

Looking back over my life I recall a hiatus of about 20 years when the "faith of our fathers" was much in abeyance in my psyche. Then came enlightenment, after a moment of honesty and prayer. But my opening was to the Father, to the one who loved me (I had forgotten the nursery hymn, Jesus loves me.)

Soon I was in seminary, but I had not figured out just who Jesus was- my faith and commitment was to God (the Father).
Gradually I came to realize that it was Jesus who told us about the Father-- again and again he talked about the Father. Matthew, Mark, and Luke are made up of Jesus' word pictures of the Father. (I'm aware now that Father is a metaphor, and unfortunately a repulsive metaphor to many feminists.)

But Jesus is a metaphor, too, as well as a historical figure, and one apparently closer to most people than is the Father. (Perhaps I should join the Jehovah's Witnesses; they primarily worship Jehovah--I'm not really serious about that.)

For many years I worked as a minister, paid and unpaid, and always with the identity of Jesus clouded in my mind; Methodists have more permission to do this than do Southern Baptists in general. I recall that my father talked little about Jesus, much about God. We are all the children of our experience.

Light of the world? but who is Jesus, Saviour or friend? He called himself a friend (John 15:14f).

And who are we? worshippers? students? seekers? or just friends of Jesus?

Once again: "who is the light of the world" seems to me the crux of the identity of Jesus and of my identity. Perhaps my primary sin is to fail to be the light of the world.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

A poignant refelction on the metaphors -- mythopoesis ogf the text at hand. And all the richer for leaving questions unanswered. Thank-you.

As for falling short of your calling to be light in this world -- if the story of the Pharasee and the tax-collector has any meaning for us -- it seems it knowing how far you have fallen form your calling puts you under grace. Not knowing this is the outer darkness.

Marjorie said...

Does anyone really know or understand Jesus? I'm not sure. Perhaps thats the appeal of fundamentalism, there is a comfort in being told what to believe, to have the range of possible interpretations and beliefs narrowed. Freedom is terrifying, but it seems that that is exactly what God wants for us.

I started my Bible study with the Pentateuch -- it really solidified my love of God, its my understanding of Jesus that could use some work, though I realize there is far more hope in being open-minded than closed-minded.

Meredith said...

It is wonderful to "wake up" to awaken, isn't it, my Friend? This is faith with clarity. This is knowing Light, bathing in Light, Being Light.

Now, then, you ask, Who is the light? Am I the Light? Is Jesus the Light?

And you ask, "Is Jesus savior or Friend? Is he the one we worship?"

Where is the Light coming from? When and where do you notice it? Does it only come from within people who know Jesus? How about Buddha, Krishna, Rama, or other spiritual leaders?

I would say that from what we know of him, it definitely came from within Jesus. He was pointing out the source of this light, and that it was within anyone who was awake to the Spirit of God within each of us, within each particle. Other spiritual leaders were teaching the very same thing and were wonderful examples of 'enlightened beings.'

But growing up in our culture, in our time, we were introduced to Jesus as our friend. He was our teacher. In part, we learned what light was from his teachings. Through these lessons we saw Jesus demonstate this light. This light continues to unfold for us as we reach deeply into the scriptures, and apply new meanings to our lives today. He is both friend, and savior - someone who brings us closer to God - God Jesus says is within us, too.

I have always wondered what Jesus would think about the ways he is worshiped today. What would he think of bumper stickers, or cathedrals, clergy and radio broadcasts. What would he think of his image dying on a cross worn as jewelry or hanging above alters?

I really don't believe Jesus was pointing to himself, but rather to God within himself. By the way Jesus lived - as best we know, he wasn't asking us to worship him. He lived simply and shared his truths, his light. And his light was reflecting the presence of God within him.

And Larry, this is exactly what I see you doing.

crystal said...

Does anyone know Jesus? Is he the light of the world, friend, teacher, prophet?

I have an opinion :-). All I've learned and accepted of christianity has come from the Jesuits ... "the companions of Jesus". Every Jesuit takes a retreat, the Spiritual Exercises, before he is ordained. It's like the online retreat I'm following from Creighton U, but is concentrated into one month. The retreat fosters a love relationship between the retreatant and Jesus.

Is Jesus the light of the world? To me, yes, he's God in a human form. Can anyone ever know him? I think Jesus/God really wants very badly for us to get to know him ... the gentle invitation is always proferred ... I think he is a best friend, father, lover, all these and more to the person who enters a relationship with him.

Larry Clayton said...

Thank you, dear friends, for all of these wonderful comments. It seems to me sure that we are all marching to the same drummer.