April 08, 2005

Getting Personal

I have been thinking about my comments below on this passage.

My previous posting was -- basically a citation of facts -- a display of knowledge if you will. A recent learning skills test I took has made me aware that abstract conceptualization is safe-mode for me. It allows me to participate without stepping into the scary areas of emotional connection or practical action.

But I am noticing a pattern to how I am responding to the gospel of John. With each confrontation with the "Jews" or the "Pharisees" I find myself sympathizing with the Jews and feeling John (by putting words in Jesus' mouth) is being unfair to the poor blokes. Where is that coming from?

One of the passages in George Fox's Journal that speaks most strongly to me is about reading the scripture. George tells us that when we find ourselves looking down on someone in scripture for their unfaithful and wayward ways we are to turn that condemnation on it head and realize we are that person. It is the same technique used by the prophet Nathan against that king of Israel whose name I share (2 Samuel 12:1-8). I find myself identifying with the Jews in this story because my reader-sense tells me John wants me to condemn them.

What also concerns me is a Christian heresy called supersessionism. By calling it a heresy I'm taking a stronger stance than many Christians would accept. Supersessionism is the teaching that Christians have replaced the Jews as God's chosen people. It forgets that Jesus was a Jew. It forgets that Christianity is a Jewish sect. And historically whenever it becomes strong in amongst Christians, Jews become politically and economically oppressed -- targeted for ill-use, and even pogroms and genocide. If by your fruits you shall know them then supersessionism is a heresy indeed.

What if I dig even deeper than these concerns?

I identify with the Pharisees because they are everso like me. They are learned. They hide behind their learning to protect themselves from this greasy peasant teacher. They also have a genuine concern for their faith traditions and for the safety of their people under Roman occupation. Jesus is a threat to all of that. Safe-mode. Fight-or-flight. I understand this too well.

And wonder how much of it silences the Guide within me.

4 comments:

crystal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
crystal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Larry Clayton said...

This is good stuff. David is so completely right about John, "putting words in Jesus' mouth". Truthfully I have found John (in this study) more and more distasteful because so much of it seems to be discourses emphasizing the party line. I don't believe for a minute that Jesus said this stuff.

Well I don't mean to be rabid or inflammatory, but that's where I am on John. The magnificent poetic images have always thrilled me, but until now I never paid too much attention to the discourses.

Of course David said a lot of other things, too. Re identifying I've found myself identifying with Jacob, the rascal, constantly trying to bargain with God, and even with Judas, betraying Christ every time I let loose an expletive on the tennis court.

Well this is not confession time; excuse me.

Marjorie said...

We are ALL Gods children -- I would agree that a view that Jesus was talking of the Jews is narrow (and anti-Semetic).

I often feel like the disciples, desiring to follow Jesus, but not understanding a thing he says.