April 06, 2005

Jesus is rejected / Crystal

The Father and I are one

.... I've been thinking a lot about who Jesus is ... is he God, is he just a person touched with christ consciousness for the duration of his human life? This is important to me because it has to do with who I'm relating to when I pray. I learned how to pray from the Jesuits and they "pray to God, through Jesus, with the help of the Holy Spirit" ... the trinity. Reading the gospel of John has reinforced the idea for me that Jesus is God, but as David pointed out once, John is written later than the other gospels and is not as reliable. I read a short article on the subject which said in part ...

The doctrine of the Trinity is encapsulated in Matthew 28:19, where Jesus instructs the apostles: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." In this passage the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are said to share one name (notice that the term "name" is singular, not plural), and that name is almost certainly Yahweh, the personal name of God in the Bible.
The parallelism of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit is not unique to Matthew’s Gospel; it appears elsewhere in the New Testament (e.g., 2 Cor. 13:14, Heb. 9:14), as well as in the writings of the earliest Christians, who clearly understood these verses in the sense that we do today—that the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are three divine Persons who are one divine Being (God).


Anyway, I'm still confused on the issue, but it's interesting to see other instances of Jesus "being God" aside from John's gospel. Below is a pic o Jesus about to be stoned ... at the Koninklijke Bibliotheek, the Hague, from a History Bible of Utrecht. 1430.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Reliable for what? I believe the gospel of John is the author's faithful witness to what he belived about God in Christ. What I question is whether it is an accurate picture of what Jesus taught and lived in his earthly ministry.

And yes -- I hold that Jesus was/is God in a special way we are not -- but also in a way we are becoming as we grow in Christ.

crystal said...

What I question is whether it is an accurate picture of what Jesus taught and lived in his earthly ministry.

... yes, I meant in that way reliable.

Hey, sorry the picture was too big. Once you told me how to make it smaller in the code, but I forgot how :-(

Unknown said...

insert the code width="80%" into your img/src tag. You can adjust with too - make it 30% or 47%. The percentage is the percetage of the width of the cell/frame. You can also insert align="right" into the same tag so the text will load up beside the pic.

so the tag contents end up looking like this:

img width="80% align="left" src="imagefile.gif" all closed up inthose point brackets taht ican't show you or they'd disappear.

Hope that helps.

Does anybody know how you type those point brackets so they don't get read as html coding. I mean what if I wanna put pointy brackets in a posting some day?

crystal said...

Thanks, David. Maybe you can put in the carrots if you put extra spaces between? Let's see ...

< a href = " http://www.ntgateway.com/john " > John info < / a >

Unknown said...

Carrots? Is taht what thos epointy things are called. Hmm.

crystal said...

Thanks for fixing the picture :-)