April 24, 2005

The Poor? (John 12:1-8)

"You have the poor with you always, you will not always have me." But we do have him, and the poor.

Matthew 25:35:
"I was an hungred [hungry], and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." and 25:40:
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Friends, he is here, with us!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You seem to be holding John's Jesus accountable to Matthew's. Does Matthew feel more like the real Jesus to you? Or just in that passage?

Meredith said...

"...you will not always have me." Jesus was speaking from ego, his physical personhood, not his divinity. Yes, we do have his divinity, but not his earthly body the oil annnointed. That was the opportunity to show that sort of physical kindness.

'So I Go' is a fun blog that you might enjoy, writing from the viewpoint that Jesus "is here, with us!!!" (It is fun to begin with chapter one.)

http://soigo.blogspot.com/

Larry Clayton said...

For David:

"You seem to be holding John's Jesus accountable to Matthew's. Does Matthew feel more like the real Jesus to you? Or just in that passage?"

Yes, Matthews does-- always, and Mark most of all. I do hold to the theory that Jesus got 'interpreted' in the light of the experience of the community for whom they were writing.

Matthew shows Jesus much more like a human being, as do the other synoptics. In fact in seminary I came across a book that considered John pretty spurious. I was shocked then, but less so now-- 50 years later.