November 15, 2005

Gone Fishing

Logion 8 Yeshua said: Man is like a wise fisherman, who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of small fish. Among them the wise fisherman found a large good fish. He threw down all the small fish into the sea; he chose the large fish without trouble. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

When Jesus said that “a human being is like a wise fisherman,” this is the beginning of parable. So what do wise fishermen do? They cast lines or nets, catch fish, and empty their nets, keeping the larger fish and returning the smaller fish back to the sea. This is similar to the way my mind works in meditation. I realize this when I am very quiet, and watch my own thoughts. My mind starts floating wide – like a net out in the water, catching thoughts. When I pull in my thoughts, I realize I have many small and useless thoughts – which are mere distractions. But there are some thoughts that are big. Big as in thoughts about God. This is the only really important thought. Upon focusing on this thought, the smaller thoughts drift away, dissipating like small fish going back into the water.

These teachings in the manner of a parable provide each of us with a message that speaks to us individually. Thus, if you have ears to hear this, hear it for you. What does the parable spark in you?

5 comments:

twila said...

That's good, Meredith. I was thinking along those lines. About tossing out or freeing myself of the little things (distractions, things that have no real value) so I can focus on the big thing (that really matters, that has true value)

Larry Clayton said...

Very much what I would think if I meditated on it, Meredith. In a way it's the story of my life: to keep my mind on God. I've preached about it for years: I used to say that God has your thoughts or the devil does.

I'm not so extreme in my language now (hopefully), but it's a constant struggle to "throw back the little fish". They're so enticing in so many ways.

" I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears
I hid from Him, and under running laughter." (from the Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson.

Anonymous said...

Meredith, I believe you have ears to hear and eyes to see. I think that our elder brother spoke in parables because his words would be understood, then and now, only by those seeking, knocking and asking for truth. I believe that knowledge can be shared but wisdom must be attained for oneself and only by seeking, knocking and asking can that be accomplished.
I haven’t put enough effort into meditation to find that big fish, but I believe you are right in your understanding. My wife on the other hand quite regularly throws back all the little fish and remains in the silence with the one good fish. She sometimes doesn’t want to come back from the ecstasy she experienced. I would like to share with you all a recent post on our blog called A portrait wherein the I Am is described for our understanding. She received this description while in the silence. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Marjorie said...

I took a yoga class last night, on the wall was a poster of Albert Einstein with the quote "I want to know the mind of God, the rest are details." I may have flubbed the last bit of that, but it speaks to me of what Meredith is saying about the fish. The details are the little fish, but the mind of God is the big fish that we need to grab with both hands.

Isn't it nice that the writer grabbed the large fish "without trouble" such a promise that if we desire it, it will come without trouble.

crystal said...

Meredith, I liked your comparison of meditation with this saying. It reminds me of that expression "monkey mind", where it's hard to meditate because one's mind is so distracted by every little thing :-)