February 01, 2005

Distance, Faith, Desire, and Rules

Re: John 4: 46-54

I will confess that these miracle stories challenge me. I just don’t know how to think about them. But here are a few random thoughts…

When Jesus healed a government official’s son, the son was 20 miles away – yet was healed as though distance did not matter. This speaks to the ultimate dimension rather than our usual historical dimension, as Thich Nhat Hanh wrote about. In the ultimate dimension, distance is meaningless. Jesus can be with us, right here, right now.

As time passed in this story, the official’s faith grew. First he believed enough to ask for help. Then “the official took Jesus at his word,” indicating that he believed Jesus’ assurance that his son would live. Then, “He and all his household believed.” This faith is growing in the official, and indeed, spreading. This happens when we involve ourselves in spiritual action.

Re: John 5:1-18

Like Crystal, I was moved by the question, “Do you want to get well?” What is our true desire? Perhaps it is opening ourselves to this deepest desire that God really speaks to within us.

I was confused about the mat dilemma, but learned that carrying the mat would be akin to working on the Sabbath, and thus breaking a rule. However, it was a man-made rule, and did not recognize the need of the individual. Focus on arbitrary rules may hinder our ability to focus on God. This and so many other rules have simply become barriers and distractions between us and knowing God. I remember my early years growing up in an Episcopal church, where females were required to have their heads covered. What we wore on our heads was about fashion, and proved to be a real distraction to spiritual focus.

When Jesus said “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working,” I was very touched. We don’t stop working (to be helpful) on the Sabbath, nor does God. Also, in this statement, Jesus identifies himself with God. Godly works are done through us, with us.

4 comments:

Larry Clayton said...

Meredith wrote: "What is our true desire?" Our true desire may often be hidden. I can remember a few times in my life where my desire proved to be in God's will and God's response was swift and remarkable.

But half the time I may not even know what I should pray for. As Paul said in Romans,
8:26: "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

Marjorie said...

how interesting that you were raised in the Episcopal church. Your statement of the distraction of fashion in church certainly speaks to my condition. At this point, everything is a distraction to me.

Meredith said...

Larry,

Quieting ourselves, our hearts become very open. The notion of desire is confusing; I have wondered if it was my desire for an intimate relationship with God that made it happen, or if my openness, my dropping of all desire has somehow invited or revealed this presence in my life so sweetly. I do believe it is in the focus - one way or the other. Focusing, we see, and we come to know. I am blessed by a Godly presence and acutely aware of it daily.

Marjorie,

Everything is a distraction? I hear you. When this happens, simplifying to the barest minimum is helpful to me. Self quieting, reflecting, and listening carefully are the surest ways for me to connect with the divine within and surrounding me. Indeed, it is only in this quiet sanctuary of my Being that I recognize my truest nature in God.

Peaceful blessings to you, my Friends.

crystal said...

Hi Meredith. I didn't realize either that you had begun as an Episcopalian ... fortunatley, by the time I joined the catholic church, I was able to wear jeans ... no head gear at all :-). My sister, who reads a lot of buddhist stuff, really likes Thich Nhat Hanh. As it turns out, he is friends with a Jesuit peace activist I 'm aquainted with (John Dear) - small world.