February 06, 2005

A Question from Marjorie

Hello friends,

I would like your opinion, please. I don't usually give up things for Lent, but I feel moved to give up blogging -- both posting on my blogs and reading and commenting on other blogs. Since this is something I really don't want to do, I figure it is probably something that I must do. As a member of a team on this blog, I wanted to ask you what you think. I can see a few reasons for excepting this blog from my Lenten fast. Part of me feels that as a team member, I should continue to blog here through Lent. On the other hand, I haven't been pulling my weight recently, so my temporary absence might not even be noticeable. Then again, maybe by giving up blogging otherwise, I would be more active on this blog during Lent, which might be a good place for me to be.

Regardless, I will be using the computer and checking e-mail, so anyone who wants to contact me may do so.

I appreciate your opinions on this matter.

P.S. Lent begins this Wednesday, February 9 and continues until Easter on March 27 (or does it end Palm Sunday? I'm counting on you here, Crystal, Catholics usually know all the ins and outs of Lent ;-) )

3 comments:

crystal said...

Hi Marjorie. I'm just a recent Catholic, so I count on this page from Creighton University to help me with Lent stuff - it's pretty informative so you might like it. Just out of personal selfishness, I hope you don't stop blogging here. You should do what you thiink is best, of course, but I would definitelly miss your presence.

Unknown said...

David is back early from his non-Lenten blog-fast. I really didn't escape as posts here show up in my email and so i thought I'd drop by.

From time to time I declare a personal fast from things internetty. I do it when I feel its needful, eitehr online time as swollen to dominate my life in some way or my reaction to something out here in WWW leads me to ssupect I'm taking things webby far too seriously for my own health and well-being.

So in one sense I support you in your choice (though I will miss your presence).

On the other side of the coin I'm trying to imagine giving up bible study for Lent. That is truly up there with my last year's offer to give up brussel sprouts (I failed twice btw).

God go with you Marjorie--in which ever choice you make.

Marjorie said...

David, you failed to give up brussel sprouts? That is the type of Lenten fast I usually make because I don't care for brussel sprouts so there would be no chance I'd break it.

It is nice to hear your reasons for internet fasting, those are my reasons as well. Thus, to keep this blog would not conflict with the purpose behind the fast, because I don't get offended by this blog and it doesn't overwhelm my time (my mind, yes).

I'm inclined to stay on through Lent because the Bible study would be good and you are all so nice. And, thus far, no one has indicated that its not really a fast if its not absolute!