February 23, 2005

Jesus Teaches at the Temple

(John 7:18) He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.

I, too, was stuck by the fact that Jesus said his teaching was not his own - it came from God. Thus he was speaking from a deep inner knowing, and, though he knew scripture, he did not use it to justify his knowing God or for speaking for God. Jesus was not teaching from a need to be calling attention to himself, but rather from a deep spiritual calling to speak from that of God within him. At this point he is speaking from his truest self - "nothing false about him." It wasn't all about him, or as we sometimes joke, "It isn't all about you."

I have loved reading and contemplating these scriptures with you, my friends on this blog. However, for me, while this study of scripture is illuminating and inspirational, I do not sense that scripture study places me in closer connection with God. Spending time in silence, deep listening, quieting myself so that "I" seem to disappear - that is when God feels most present to me. When I am moved to speak about God, I notice again that "I" recedes, and only the message remains. Messages from God seem to have a special energy, a vibration and a certain truth that rings clear.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this is an importnat observation:

However, for me, while this study of scripture is illuminating and inspirational, I do not sense that scripture study places me in closer connection with God.Do you feel that some change to the way we proceed would help? Or do you feel it is in the very nature of study groups (or perhaps the internet)?

crystal said...

Hi Meredith. You siad .... while this study of scripture is illuminating and inspirational, I do not sense that scripture study places me in closer connection with God. ...... I think I understand what you are saying - I too feel the difference between talking about God and being with God, if that's what you meant.

Marjorie said...

Commenting on the same italicized passage as David and Crystal...

at one point I did feel that Bible study brought me closer to God. I don't think its the fault of this study. Something has changed for me and I'm not sure what or how. I have noticed that I tend to feel closest to God when I can just stop and bask in gratitude. Except its still different, I don't feel close to God per se, I just feel love. I'm hoping to package this as growth, but I'm not sure. I'm just not where I was a year ago.

Larry Clayton said...

Marjorie, the closer we are to God, the more love we feel. God is love.

Meredith said...

David,
My feeling about the value of our study being one thing and my relationship with God another has nothing to do with how this study is structured. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each of you through this thoughtful discussion. And, I have never done this type of study before, so it is all new to me and I am eating it up! It is delicious - and sometimes I just like to savor it. And, my relationship with God is growing all the time, but I recognize that this is happening because of spending time in communion with God, and with sprititual friends who continually bring me back to divine reality.

Crystal, Yes, exactly, being with God is relating, and feeling a depth of feeling that is difficult to define. Paul Tillich called God the "Ground of Being" which seems to fit for me, too. This experience of being is quite different from study. Talking and study are venues to deepen my understanding of the historical perspective and of our spiritual friends - which are both of great value to me, also.

Marjorie, Feeling love - that sort of warm feeling exuding from who knows where - that is what I often feel, too. It is a bit of unconditioned bliss. And when I feel it, I am filled with love in return, and gratitude. This is an intimate experience with God.

Larry, as usual, you are Wisdom. God is love. And we must be very close, right now, Yes?

With love for each of you,
Meredith