February 07, 2005

Witness to Jesus / Crystal

If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony cannot be verified.
But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that the testimony he gives on my behalf is true.

... I would have thought he meant John, but my version of the bible says he means God.

But I have testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me.
... to me, this means that Jesus is letting his acts (the miracles, healings) be his testimony - I'd guess the writer of this passage wants us to believe in them lierally.

You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life through them; even they testify on my behalf.
... the NAB says this sentence could also be an imperitive ... "Search the scriptures... ". It would seem Jesus is saying that the scriptures are very important.

Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father: the one who will accuse you is Moses, in whom you have placed your hope.
... is he saying that people have relied on the law of Moses, yet even so, haven't faithfully followed it?

I guess this is supposed to be Jesus speaking (and another writing it down?). Of course, there's no way of knowing if he actually said this or if someone put words into his mouth for their own purpose. If someone has a good rule of thumb for how to decide what of the stuff we're reading is reliable and what isn't (yep, I know - the Jesus Seminar), please enlighten me.









4 comments:

Larry Clayton said...

Crystal:
My rule of thumb is: does it conform to the Christ that I know? Some things I read in the Bible just don't, and I don't put the same credence on them that I do those that conform with Jesus' pointing us to the Father (or Mother if you prefer) and telling us to obey the great commandment.

crystal said...

Hi Larry - I think that's a good way to make the choice. I wish I was more trusting of my personal experience.

Unknown said...

Not just personal experience. A church also is a community of interpretation. The experiences of others whose judgment you respect helps you to see your life your world and the scriptures in ways you could not alone. And in so doing -- provide additional sources of hearing God's Light.

Larry Clayton said...

David is completely right: the community is a part of you, and has shaped your life. Likewise this group, the books you read including the Bible. All this influences you, but you must be the central arbiter. No one else can take that responsibility. To thine own self be true.....

And imho you have to apply your principle of interpretation to all this. Remember you are a daughter of God, and he has empowered you to do this.