February 27, 2005

John 7:32-36 / Crystal

Jesus then said, "I will be with you a little while longer, and then I am going to him who sent me. You will search for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come."

... to me, this means Jesus had a good idea that he would soon be arrested and executed - he knew that then he would go to be with the father. The line about searching but not finding ... I don't understand that but maybe it refers to the time between Jesus' death and his resurrection, when he was "dead" and unfindable? Where was he during that time?

It also makes me think of that mysterious time period between Jesus' resurrection and his ascension ... he hung around quite a bit, "seeking and finding" the dispirited disciples, who oddly didn't at first recognise him, and jollying them up.

The Jews said to one another, "Where does this man intend to go that we will not find him? Does he intend to go to the Dispersion among the Greeks and teach the Greeks? What does he mean by saying, 'You will search for me and you will not find me' and 'Where I am, you cannot come'?"

... once again this is an instance of people misunderstanding what Jesus has said, in John. Another point, somewhere I read a commentary that pointed out that the "Jews" never ask Jesus these questions directly but only talk about the issues among themselves, thus never getting any answers. This reminds me of Meredith's post about the difference between bible study and prayer/conversing with/being with God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I get taht Jesus is speaking about his death/resurrection here.

But it also contradicts Jesus' other statements about us taking up our own crosses and about how we will do greater things than him.

And John seems to belabour the bits about folks (especially Phasisees) not getting what he's talking about. Almost to make us take a second look.

Makes me think something else is going on here -- but I'm not so sure just what.