February 20, 2005

Jesus' Brothers (7:1-9)

After this Jesus travelled round Galilee; he could not travel round Judaea, because the Jews were seeking to kill him. As the Jewish feast of Shelters drew near, his brothers said to him, 'Leave this place and go to Judaea, so that your disciples, too, can see the works you are doing; no one who wants to be publicly known acts in secret; if this is what you are doing, you should reveal yourself to the world.' Not even his brothers had faith in him.

Jesus answered, 'For me the right time has not come yet, but for you any time is the right time. The world cannot hate you, but it does hate me, because I give evidence that its ways are evil. Go up to the festival yourselves: I am not going to this festival, because for me the time is not ripe yet.'

Having said that, he stayed behind in Galilee.

-- John 7:1-9 (New Jerusalem)

3 comments:

Larry Clayton said...

The gospel says,
"The world cannot hate you, but it does hate me, because I give evidence that its ways are evil."

Jesus calls us to do what he did. We certainly have evidence that the world's ways are evil. I don't want to "give" it, but I believe that is part of our calling.

Marjorie said...

truth to power and everywhere else.

I have no problem speaking my mind, those times when I actually know whats in my mind. I'm learning to be silent in those other times.

Larry Clayton said...

Marjorie, I always know my mind precisely, although I'm the first to admit that I'm often wrong. So I spend a good bit of my time retracting statements, etc.